Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Coffee & Convo with Author of White Russian



Coffee & Convo welcomes Edward Wallace Richbourg author of the suspense novel White Russian.

Is White Russian part of a series?

It is the first of a planned three-part series

Tell us a little bit about White Russian.

Alexei Kikalishvili demands justice for the brutal murder of the parents of eight-year-old Maria Tarpischeva. Since the authorities refused to take action, even in the face of Alexei's eyewitness account, the former intelligence officer hatched the Peterhof Progression, his own retribution scheme against Peter Tatumov, the Kirov Mafiya leader responsible for the killings. For ten years, after becoming Maria's legal guardian, Alexei has plotted his revenge. Now, with Maria, the reigning Wimbledon singles champion, financially secure and nearly mature enough to live on her own, he aims to complete his life's mission. What he doesn't realize is just how much trouble that's about to cause him.

A Greek man steps into Alexei's foyer in Florida, collapses in a sea of blood, and dies in Maria's arms as he says in Russian, "Viktor must die... Alexei, you must..." Questions begin to accumulate. Answers continue to elude Alexei.

As he gathers intelligence against Tatumov, eliminating a few of his henchmen along the way, Alexei is arrested in Boca Raton for the murder of the Greek. Yuri Skurikov, a CIA officer and the older brother of Alexei's girlfriend, appears and offers Alexei a Hobson's choice: assist Yuri in foiling the sale of a Russian submarine by Viktor Boujinsky, aka the Merchant of Death, to the leader of a Colombian drug cartel or face prosecution for the Greek's murder.

What do you think readers will enjoy most about White Russian?

The flippant and irreverent protagonist, Alexei Kikalisvilli, often entertains readers with his wit and knowledge during his tragic global quest for revenge against the Russian Mafiya.

Where can we find White Russian?



Tell us a little about yourself.

I graduated magna cum laude from North Carolina State University (Go Wolfpack!) with a degree in engineering. After working for one of America's largest defense contractors in North Carolina, West Virginia and Florida, I moved to Richmond, Virginia where I briefly studied law and met the girl of my dreams. We soon married and moved to Texas; there we produced the three smartest children in the world. Back in North Carolina, I directed the development of a software package used by government agencies and corporations to send messages and files over encrypted connections between PCs, servers, and wireless devices.

My passions in life, besides my family and making up stuff (writing), are food, wine, college sports (did I say, "Go Wolfpack!"?), music (especially country, classical, and the kind that Frank Sinatra used to sing) and playing tennis.
I split my time between New York City, Atlanta, and North Carolina with occasional forays into Walt Disney World and Hilton Head Island.

Why did you decide to become an Indie author?

Because my literary agent had been unsuccessful at selling fiction to the major publishers.

Is this your debut novel?

This is the first book I have published, but not the first one I have written.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

I will be publishing my other books on Smashwords after I do some additional editing.

Any future writing plans you wish to share with us?

I'm currently writing a thriller about a CIA operative in the Middle East. The novel explores potential Israeli-Palestinian solutions while the protagonist searches Syria, Lebanon, and Israel for the meaning behind a failed assassination attempt.

Thank you so much for sharing with us today. May I add Ed, the Colombian drug cartel part of your story is right up my alley. I was born in Medellin, Colombia :) 

Ha, not that I've ever had any involvement with the cartel, only in my fiction. 

Your next book about a CIA operative in the Middle East sounds very interesting. My book SAND deals with some similar elements. I look forward to reading your books.

Thank you so much for supporting SAND!