Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Coffee & Convo with author of UPGRADE



Coffee & Convo welcomes Stephen Hise author of Romance / Suspense novel UPGRADE.

Stephen, tell us a little bit about UPGRADE.

I describe this book as a bodice-ripper with a “Twilight Zone” twist.

The premise of the book is that a scientist has discovered the exact optical metrics the human brain uses to categorize attractiveness, and he has developed a procedure that alters the face in a way imperceptible to the patient, but causes others to see him as attractive. My main character, Brent Schoenfeld is a wealthy but unattractive young man who undergoes this procedure. What at first seems like a dream come true to him carries some terrible and unforeseen consequences.

What do you think readers will enjoy most about UPGRADE?

I think the book is written in a way that accommodates two types of readers. There are those who enjoy a fun and fast-moving read; but also a number of readers who have told me the book made them think about it for several days afterward. At its core, the book is about human nature and the enigma of attraction. It does not force those deeper issues on the reader, but they are there for the readers who wish to explore the story in that way.

Where can we find UPGRADE?

Ebook price: $1.99 Smashwords.com
Also available from Kindle bookstores - Kindle USA and Kindle UK
Print Edition price: $14.75 + shipping at Amazon.com and WordClay.com

Tell us a little about yourself.

I have been involved in emergency medical services since I was seventeen. I became a paramedic at age nineteen and worked my way up the system to become one of the few people ever to serve with distinction as a state EMS director in two different states.

Why did you decide to become an Indie author?

When I finished the novel, I tried to go the traditional route and learned two things: agents don’t want to represent an author who doesn’t have a publishing deal; and publishers don’t want to deal with authors who are not represented by an agent.

So I had given up on getting the book published, then one day I saw a blog article that mentioned indie publishing and included a link to Smashwords. I followed up and things just went from there. It has been fantastic meeting so many other indie authors – I’m just really happy it has gone this way.

Is this your debut novel?

As a regulator I was always involved in technical writing, but UPGRADE is my first novel.

Any future writing plans you wish to share with us?

I have a couple of youth/children’s books and a spy-thriller in the hopper. They are in early development though and most of my effort for the time being is going to promoting UPGRADE.

Thank you so much for sharing with us today.


Thank you so much for supporting SAND!