Friday, June 24, 2011

Coffee & Convo with Author of Electronic Crime in Muted Key



Coffee & Convo welcomes crime thriller author, Nick Wastnage.

Nick, tell us a little bit about your book Electronic Crime in Muted Key.

It’s about Barry Carter; an enigmatic man who lives in two worlds and believes his sinister plan to scam millions and fake his death is foolproof. He’s right, until his bitter lover and distraught wife seek him out for retribution. But the police find him first and want to question him about a murder, a stolen dead body and an international cyber crime. A frantic chase ensues and there can be only one winner.

Is there a sequel?

No, but I have a backlist of six books, all in the same genre and plan to self-publish them all as ebooks under different titles this year.

What inspired the story for Electronic Crime in Muted Key?

This is interesting, but true. I went to a restaurant alone one night and overheard a couple of guys behind me talking. One said to the other that his debts were so large that he was going to fake his death and disappear. I listened with intent, scribbled all I could make out down on a napkin and, once I’d paid my bill, hotfooted it home and fired up my PC and started to write the story. I never saw or heard of the two guys again, but I did write a book. 

What was the hardest part of writing Electronic Crime in Muted Key?

Keeping the complex plot believable. Once I’d sketched out the idea I asked a few friends to comment. Some said it was too far fetched. I changed it around a little, gained their approval and started to write it.

What do you think readers will enjoy most about Electronic Crime in Muted Key?

The unique compelling plot and the unusual way a man’s scorned wife and his lover team up to extract their retribution.

Where can we find Electronic Crime in Muted Key?

amazon UK , amazon US , Smashwords (free until July 19. Coupon YG43A),

Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m a crime writer. I’ve been doing it for about ten years. I’ve written six books, all published in print form. Before I became a writer I was a retailer. Before that I was in The Royal Marines, where once I was shot by terrorists and winched to safety from the jungle into a helicopter. But that was some time ago. I now live in Buckingshire in England with my wife. I have four grown up children, who all are spread around the world.

Why did you decide to become an Indie author?

Because it’s the future for books, no question about it. Bookshops are closing; it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find a traditional publisher and it gives an author complete control over the entire process. It’s different from print publishing, but it’s vibrant and exciting and I enjoy it. I’m a novice at it and learn something new every day. It’s also great that there are many helpful people around in Indie publishing.

Is this your debut novel?

Well, yes as an Indie ebook novel. But as I said earlier, it’s one of my backlist. It was called The Electronic Conspirator. I’ve updated it and changed the style.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

The Electronic Conspirator, Killing Sam Forever, The Wrong Menu, No Snowdrops in July, The Heart Donor and Amnesia can all be found in print from on amazon, under my name.

There’s more information on my website: http://www.nickwastnage.com .

Any future writing plans you wish to share with us.

Yes, many. I’ll have my second ebook, Murder He Forgot (it was Amnesia), ready for Smashwords and amazon by mid July or maybe earlier. It’s about a man who forgot he tried to kill his wife, twice.
After that, Playing Harry, a brand new book I’ve written is coming out in print form and as an indie ebook. It’s about a man who’s hunting for his brother’s killer and finds an encrypted file on his brother’s PC that he believes contains the cure for Aids.
Then I’m planning to self-publish as Indie ebooks the remaining four crime novels from my back catalogue.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Read, read and read other books and never stop writing and redraft your work until you believe it’s perfect. Never give up. I always think of the three Ps. It came from a story about a famous concert pianist who when greeted by a friend who said, ‘I’d love to play like you,’ answered, ‘No you wouldn’t, you’ll never practice, persevere or persist enough.’

Thank you so much for the great advice, Nick, and thank you for being with us today.

Lili Tufel
Thank you so much for supporting SAND!