Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Twitter Hashtags to Follow



I’ve come across a few blogs that simply list twitter hashtags. This isn’t going to be one of them.  I’m only listing the hashtags that I RECOMMEND!

I’ve been on twitter for a while and have come across quite a few hashtags. Some hashtags come and go faster than memes, like Charlie Sheen’s #winning, as mentioned in this NY Times article by Ashley Parker.  Most of the one-hit-wonder hashtags will be “trending” for a day or two and disappear. Trending on twitter means that A LOT of people are tweeting the same hashtag. For example, #roadtrip is a popular one this summer.

Here’s a quick overview:

A twitter hashtag is this symbol # followed by a word or phrase (with no spacesinbetween) and is included in your tweet. 

Any tweets that include a particular hashtag will appear on the same column for that hashtag in the order they were tweeted.  

Examples of a good way to use hashtags for branding:

My awesome friend @RachelintheOC, author of WALK IN THE SNARK tweets the funniest one-liners using the hashtag #mancode.   

She is an example of using twitter hashtags for branding.  I RECOMMEND!

Another awesome Facebook and twitter friend, @KristenLambTX created the new twitter hashtag #MyWana named after her book We Are Not Alone.  Read more about it here.  I RECOMMEND!

I started #SANDexcerpt to post excerpts from my book SAND.  I suggest you start your own twitter hashtag with your own branding. Go ahead, try it out!

Here’s some advice:

Check the hashtag first. People may already be using it. But you can still join in. I like to use random hashtags like #luvit or #whateverIfeellikesayingatthemoment

What does #WW and #FF mean?

#WW is Writer Wednesday used for promoting writers that you think your followers should follow.

#FF is Follow Friday used to promote anyone you want to recommend to your followers.  Most people will list a bunch of twitter names in one tweet and leave enough space to include #FF.  There's even a website that tracks how many people #FF you. Check it out here.

Here’s a list of hashtags that I RECOMMEND!

#tIAG  Twitter Indie Author Group

#IndieAuthors  I like to RT Indie Author's books and blogs that I find on here.  

#rocktheretweet  I like to use this one whenever I come across A SUPER AWESOME tweet

#amediting  I’ve definitely used this one while editing

#amwriting  A very cool way to share word count goals on a regular basis

#pubtip  Some people mistake this for the local pub (drinking) but this one is for publishing tips (you can learn a lot here.) Many Lit Agents use this one.

#pubwrite  This one is a local pub (lots of drinking) and writing (you can learn a lot about alcoholic beverages here) and share the writing journey with many awesome authors.

#1k1hr  I wrote a blog post about this one titled Slow but Steady Wins the Race.

#1kaday  I wrote a blog post about this one titled Coffee & Convo Series and the #1kaday.

#nanowrimo  This one is for the national novel writing month

#LeadFromWithin  People from all walks of life post very positive tweets on here.


I would love to hear from you! What are some of your favorite hashtags?  Please share your thoughts.  We can all learn from one another.

Lili Tufel
Thank you so much for supporting SAND!