Wednesday, July 13, 2011

TweetDeck vs HootSuite

We interrupt this regularly scheduled post for an important announcement:

Have you tried Google+ yet? I highly recommend it!

You can read about how Google+ is becoming one of the fastest-growing networks ever here.  And if you're already using Google+, here is a Cheat Sheet that I found very useful.

Back to our main event:  TweetDeck vs HootSuite

We could get ready to rumble and go several rounds throwing punches at each of these Twitter clients but the only winner here is YOU! Both TweetDeck and HootSuite are great in their own way. It is really up to you to decide which one fits you best :)

I had been advocating TweetDeck for some time.  A few weeks ago, my awesome friend @RachelintheOC, author of WALK IN THE SNARK recommended HootSuite.


In order to use TweetDeck on my laptop, I had to install it on my desktop. I found that I couldn't use it while other large programs were running at the same time.  It would cause my computer to lag so I uninstalled it. I discovered that HootSuite is used on the web. There's no need to install it on my desktop! I can log into HootSuite from any computer with internet without having to download the program to my desktop. HootSuite fits me best!

Here are some of the comparisons that I found:

HootSuite is a web application.
TweetDeck is a desktop application.


HootSuite is a tab-based system. There are tabs for each Social Network profile.
TweetDeck is a column-based system. There are columns for each Social Network profile.


HootSuite shortens urls with ow.ly and has a report for the number of clicks and other analytics.
TweetDeck shortens urls. Gives you a choice of shorteners & reports statistics that bit.ly provides.

Have you tried HootSuite? Have you tried TweetDeck? I would love to hear from you!

Lili Tufel


Thank you so much for supporting SAND!