Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Coffee & Convo with Bestseller for a Day Author Terri Giuliano Long



Coffee & Convo is proud to be a sponsor of the award-winning novel, In Leah’s Wake, on today's Bestseller for a Day! To learn more about Bestseller for a Day click here.

Coffee & Convo welcomes literary fiction author, Terri Giuliano Long.  She has written the award-winning family story, In Leah’s Wake.

Tell us a little bit about In Leah’s Wake.  

In Leah’s Wake, my debut novel, tells the story of a family in collapse. Sixteen-year-old Leah, a star soccer player, has led a perfect life. When she meets a sexy older guy, attracted to his independence, she begins to spread her wings. Drinking, ignoring curfew, dabbling in drugs—all this feels like freedom to her. Her terrified parents, thinking they’re losing their daughter, pull the reigns tighter. Unfortunately, they get it all wrong, pushing when they ought to be pulling, and communication breaks down. Soon, there’s no turning back. Twelve-year-old Justine caught between the parents she loves, and the big sister she adores, finds herself in the fight of her life, trying desperately to pull her family together. Will this family survive? What happens when love just isn't enough?


Jodi Picoult fans often tell me the book reminds them of hers. I’m not sure she – or I – would agree, but we both write topical family stories. And it’s a lovely compliment.

Brag facts: In Leah’s Wake is the recipient of the CTRR Reviewer Recommend Award and is also the Book Bundlz 2011 Book Club Pick.

What inspired the story for In Leah’s Wake?

Years ago, I wrote a series of feature articles about families with drug and alcohol-addicted teens. The moms talked candidly about their children, their heartbreaking struggles. Those stories stayed with me. 

My husband and I have four daughters. Most families struggle during their children's teenage years. We’re no different - though, thank goodness, we experienced nothing remotely akin to the problems and challenges the Tylers face in the book. As a parent, I knew how it felt to be scared, concerned for your children’s welfare and future. These were the primary forces driving me to write this story.

My work with families, my personal experiences and core beliefs – all these things played on my conscious and subconscious mind, and ultimately emerged as this book. 

What was the hardest part of writing In Leah’s Wake?

I enjoyed every aspect of writing In Leah’s Wake – from the heady feeling of finishing the first draft through the lengthy process of revision. When the book contract fell apart – that was hard. In the years that followed it was sometimes difficult to sustain energy. I believed in the book – if I didn’t, I would have let go - but I didn’t think I’d publish it. The indie revolution changed that for me. Indie publishing is hard work and isn’t for everyone, but it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself as a writer.

What do you think readers will enjoy most about In Leah’s Wake?

In Leah’s Wake has topical appeal. Readers recognize and connect with the issues it raises. They often note that they fell in love with the characters and found it a compelling read. In Leah’s Wake looks at family and community dynamics. When problems arise, the fallout affects everyone. The Tyler family is far from perfect, but they love and care deeply about one another. For these reasons, the book tends to generate very emotional responses from readers. This, I think, makes it a great book for book club discussion.

While at times sad, In Leah’s Wake offers hope. Readers feel and connect with this.

Where can we find In Leah’s Wake?


Paperback and eBook editions are also available from many other online retailers.


Tell us a little about yourself.

I’m a wife and mom. I enjoy nothing more than hanging out with my family. They make me laugh – and they bring tremendous joy and teach me so much! I also love to walk, hike, climb. For an amateur, I can hold my own in the kitchen. Everyone in our family loves to travel. My bio says that in another life I might have been an international food writer – that really is true.

Professionally, I lecture at Boston College, where I’ve taught creative and nonfiction writing for 15 years. I’ve also written copy for marketing, advertising and public relations, edited technical articles for trade journals, and edited a small trade magazine. In Leah’s Wake is my first novel. These days, other than teaching, or doing occasional marketing or editing work, I spend my time writing. I’m currently at work on a second novel.

Fun facts: I’m addicted to chocolate and shoes, and I have absolutely no sense of direction.

Why did you decide to become an Indie author?

In 2006, the book was under contract with an indie publisher. Shortly before the release, problems emerged. Soon after (unrelated to me), the company folded. I sent the book to a handful of agents, received lovely, complimentary responses, but no offers. I really believed in this book. I’d received so much encouragement over the years, from agents, editors, readers, writer friends—I’m grateful, truly grateful to all of them—that I had a hard time letting go. For years, I tried to revise. Eventually, I realized I was writing in circles. The book had changed, but it had gotten no better. Reluctantly, I put it away.

Last year, after several false starts, I finally gained traction on a new novel, my psychological thriller, Nowhere to Run. Like In Leah’s WakeNowhere is a family story at heart. I anticipate finishing the new novel this fall. I knew I’d need a platform for this new book, and hoped that self-publishing In Leah’s Wake would help me build one.

Is this your debut novel?

Yes.

Any future writing plans you wish to share with us.

I’m currently working on a psychological thriller with a historical twist. 

Nowhere to Run takes place in the White Mountains in northern New Hampshire. A year after the brutal murder of her six-year-old daughter, Abby Minot, formerly an award-winning writer, accepts her first assignment—a profile of the philanthropic Chase family, kin of the popular New Hampshire senator and presidential hopeful, Matthias Chase.

In her initial research, Abby glimpses darkness under the Chase family’s shiny veneer. Digging deeper, she uncovers a shocking web of lies and betrayal, dating back to the nineteenth century. Abby soon finds herself trapped—between an editor obsessed with uncovering the truth and the town and family who will stop at nothing to ensure it stays hidden.

I hope to complete the novel this fall. 


Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

It can be hard sometimes, but try to sustain belief in yourself. Trust your instincts. To deal with the rejection, to self-publish in a world that privileges the traditionally published, to come back after a hurtful review – you must believe in yourself.
Writing is a lonely profession. Most of the time, we’re alone with our work. The loneliness can wear on you, and cause you to question yourself.  Cherish your friendships. Your supportive writer friends can encourage and sustain you.
Above all, hold onto your dreams. Don’t ever give up!

Thank you so much, Lili, for giving me this space, allowing me to connect with your readers. And thank you – all of you - for your interest in my novel, In Leah’s Wake. Time is precious. You have millions of rich, entertaining, wonderful books to choose among. I’m honored that you’d spend this time with me, reading about mine.

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing with us today, Terri. 

BIO

Terri Giuliano Long grew up in the company of stories both of her own making and as written by others. Books offer her a zest for life’s highs and comfort in its lows better than anything else can. She’s all-too-happy to share this love with others as a novelist and as a writing instructor at Boston College. She blogs about writing and the writing life at www.tglong.com/blog Or connect with her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tglongwrites  Or Twitter: @tglong

Website: www.tglong.com


BOOK INFO

2011 BOOK BUNDLZ BOOK CLUB PICK
Recipient of the CTRR, Reviewer Recommend Award

The Tyler family had the perfect life - until sixteen-year-old Leah decided she didn't want to be perfect anymore.

While her parents fight to save their daughter from destroying her brilliant future, Leah's younger sister, Justine, must cope with the damage her out-of-control sibling leaves in her wake.

Will this family survive? What happens when love just isn't enough?

Jodi Picoult fans will love this beautifully written and absorbing novel.

To show you just how much we enjoy reading your comments, Terri and I are giving you a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card! 


Here's your question:

Do you enjoy literary fiction? Why or why not?

Terri has asked an unbiased friend to judge the most interesting comments from each Best Seller for a Day sponsor and she will personally email the winner with the good news.  So don’t forget to include your email! 

You can also enter to win more prizes here :)