Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Special Thanksgiving Coffee & Convo with Author Shay Fabbro



Welcome to a special Thanksgiving edition of Coffee & Convo!

My special guest today is an awesome friend and talented author. Not only does she have a doctorate degree in Human Medical Genetics, but she is a biology professor at Colorado Mesa University, and she's got a terrific sense of humor. She's been one of my favorite Facebook friends ever since she tagged me on this photo:

That is a HUGE spider!!
Please help me give a warm welcome to SHAY FABBRO!  *applause*

Tell us a little bit about your new sci-fi/fantasy The Chosen.

I am putting out a second edition of The Chosen and I’m so excited about it! My cover artist and I wanted to do something really spectacular with the new cover. I am also adding some new material to the book.



Is there a sequel? Is The Chosen part of a series?

This is the first book of the Portals of Destiny series. The second book of the trilogy, Shattered Destiny, is available as is a novella titled The Mad Lord Lucian.
The Chosen are a special group of...well...people and aliens that have a daunting task: to save the galaxy from the Mekans. The Chosen are from four very different worlds, which makes for some interesting interactions. And as is the case with any good book, there are many pitfalls and stumbling blocks along the way.

What do you think readers will enjoy most about your book? 

I think readers will delight in the different characters and the worlds they are from. I wanted to do something different with my series, which is why I had the heroes be from multiple planets rather than one world. They are all so very different, leaving the reader wondering how they are ever going to be able to work together to save us all from certain doom. 

Where can we find your book?



Tell us a little about yourself.

I have always loved the scientific world and have a vast curiosity that I don’t think will ever be quenched. When I was a kid, I used to write sequels to my favorite books (Piers Anthony Xanth mostly) because I didn’t want to say goodbye to the characters. While I was in graduate school, I had a dream that ultimately led to the idea of the Portals of Destiny.

Why did you decide to become an Indie author?

I tried the traditional route and couldn’t find an agent. Rather than give up, I decided to self-publish. I believe in my books and I know that if people would just give them a chance, they will be pleasantly surprised at how good Indie authors really are!

Is this your debut novel?

Yes, but I have 3 others out now.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

All of my books are available through Amazon and Barnes and Noble in paperback and e-book format: The Chosen: Book One of the Portals of Destiny, Shattered Destiny: Book Two of the Portals of Destiny, The Mad Lord Lucian: A Portals of Destiny Novella, and Dangerous Reflections: Adventures of Alexis Davenport, Book One.

Any future writing plans you wish to share with us.

I am almost done with the second book in the Adventures of Alexis Davenport series, Twisted Reflections. This series is YA/coming of age/fantasy. Alex is a fifteen year old girl forced to start her life over in a new town and a new school.  Her dead-beat dad took off, leaving Alex and her mom with nothing. On the very first day of her freshman year, she gets on the bad side of the most popular girl in school. As if all of this wasn’t enough, Alex discovers she has the ability to travel back in time into the reflections of girls she sees in the mirror. She soon finds herself in a race to protect the time line from a mad madman hell bent on changing the past...and our futures. 


Thank you so much, Shay, for taking the time to be here with us today.



We wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving.



Thank you so much for supporting SAND!