Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Social Media Routine + A Golden Nugget

Yesterday, while on the phone with my sister, I mentioned the blog post where I compare Lenders to Publishers and she immediately responded with, “That’s just like the big Record Companies in the music industry.” (Her husband is a Triple Platinum winning, Grammy nominated music producer/engineer.)

My sister and I agree that e-publishing is taking a parallel road to the music industry, and it’s about time! In the music industry, you no longer need a large record label behind you to make it. In my opinion, if you want to know the future of e-publishing look at where the music industry is today.

Record companies, Lenders, Publishers…they eventually come around but they are SLOW in changing their old ways.

Change of subject…haha!

I have been spreading myself very thin when it comes to social media lately and by reading some of my friends’ status updates and blogs, I can tell that I’m not alone.

I want to share with you my social media routine.I do this not to boast but because I've been asked on several occassions. There are a lot of new people who want to know what you and I are doing on a regular basis with social networking. Please share your routine with us in the comments. By sharing, we help one another achieve.   

This blog - In my opinion, it is a very important social media platform and I try to put that special ingredient of “love” into my blog posts. LOL

Twitter – I definitely use twitter on a regular basis. I try to follow hashtags and engage in short conversations throughout the day by using HootSuite on my phone. You’ll usually catch me tweeting in the morning while having my coffee or while in line at the bank or post office. I compare tweeting to taking a cigarette break without the cigarette.

Facebook – I still use Facebook and did not leave it for Google+.  There are still many friends on Facebook who are not on Google+ and I value those friendships.  I also visit SAND’s Facebook Fan Page where I post excerpts from SAND, I interact with the fans, and I share the awesome reviews SAND has been receiving.  I also have Lili Tufel Media/News/Publishing Facebook Fan Page where I post interesting articles I find on the web having mostly to do with social media and publishing.

Golden Nugget for you:  I created Lili Tufel Media/News/Publishing Facebook Fan Page in order to have a link as my job on my regular Facebook profile. (Facebook would not let me use my book’s fan page as a job because the job page had to be for a place/company and not an object so I created my media page.) Some authors use a generic “author link as their job. I don’t recommend it.  When people go to my profile, they will be able to click on my job, which will direct them to a page with information on where to buy SAND and not just a generic “author” page that leads to nowhere.

LinkedIn – I have been using LinkedIn a lot lately and I have met a bunch of great folks with many connections. LinkedIn is like your internet resume. I make sure that my brand is clear because LinkedIn is a great way to project your brand.

What is my brand? Lili Tufel writes Romantic Thrillers.

GoodReads – I visit GoodReads sporadically to update the books I’m reading, check messages and invites, but I have not used GoodReads to do any giveaways yet.

Google+ – I have to admit that I have been having fun with G+. Some people love G+ because they can put people in different circles and only share certain things with certain circles. I’m not interested in that aspect because everyone is either in my friends’ circle or family circle and I pretty much share the same status updates with everyone. One circle feature that I will be implementing is the circle for those who have read SAND. I will be discussing SAND with spoilers, sharing behind the scenes research, and posting deleted scenes, for only that specific circle.

As you can see, I have not mentioned Kindle Boards and Facebook Groups. I will be dedicating a whole other blog post to author groups.

I would love to hear from you. Did I miss a social media site that you recommend?


Lili Tufel
Thank you so much for supporting SAND!